четвер, 14 вересня 2017 р.

LET'S PUT SUM.IN.UA INTO WAYBACK MACHINE!

I'm a kind of person who has quite a relationship with all sorts of dictionaries. I love reading dictionaries. I like to learn meanings of random words for no reason at all. That's my kind of fun.

Recently i was trying rewrite one little poem in Ukrainian. I wanted to make a bit more sophisticated in terms of word use. My intention was to mix words from different dialects of Ukrainian so it would add another layer narrative by jumping from one territory to another. I wasn't my computer so there was Lingvo to back me up and didn't had access to any of my paper dictionaries. So i was using SUM.IN.UA. It is a dictionary of modern ukrainian. To be honest it is not that modern anymore but that is the best we have at the moment since new dictionary of modern ukrainian language is a bit caught in the turnaround deep in the development hell.

So - i wanted to find a meaning of particular word and instead moving to the page of the word i get ERROR 503. And i think "Sweet jumping George O'Twang! What!? Why?". I got hot instantly and was very frustrated by this sad event. The fury i felt was severe. I've tried to refresh the page numerous times and every i got just another ERROR 503. Finally it struck me - "i need to go to the Wayback Machine!". Because this site is very important so it is probably archived very well and i can find a copy of a page i need there. And so i go to the Wayback Machine and insert the link i need - and i get nothing because this particular was never archived. It was depressing to say least. And then looked at the archival stats of the whole site and it was like 50 pages or something. 50 pages of a dictionary with several hundred thousand words. It is mindnumbing. It makes you think this: "Eh... ... ...Vavoom Snikt Bamf!" and then you experience the void in your soul that will never go away.

OK then. What shall we do now? Shall we buy a new guitar? Nah! I'm gonna put SUM.IN.UA in its glorious entirety into Wayback Machine. I will put certain amount of pages every day and i will do it until i will run out of pages to archive. That is my new version of fun.

LET'S PUT SUM.IN.UA INTO WAYBACK MACHINE!

Немає коментарів:

Дописати коментар

Six new works in Die Leere Mitte

Got some great news! Six of my poems were featured in the newest issue of Die Leere Mitte . But this time it is some big guns. These guys k...